The 2nd Annual Bike to Work Day Winnipeg was held on Friday, June 19, 2009.
These are some of the highlights from that year:
- 1822 cyclists registered prior to — or on — the day of the event
- 2059 cyclists were counted cycling on event day
- Bicycle traffic counts were done in 8 locations throughout the city in morning rush hour
- There was a 10% reduction in bicycle traffic between BTWD 2008 and BTWD 2009; however, there was a bicycle traffic increase of 32% on the day of the event over similar counts done in May and June of 2009.
- 425 participant and 75 volunteer “Bike to Work Day” t-shirts were given away
- 380 cyclists and volunteers received a free pancake breakfast at The Forks
- The event had a strong commitment to sustainability. For example, all of the waste from the pancake breakfast was composted
- The event was organized in a little over two months
- 40+ companies, groups, and organizations supported the event with financial and/or in-kind contributions
- 70+ volunteers helped run the event at The Forks, and Oases and cycle counting locations around the city
- Wave rides to The Forks from various (4) locations around the city